Depression can be challenging to deal with especially when it comes to combining it with responsibilities and relationships. Depression can lead to many illnesses and mental conditions.
Despite this depression can be dealt with if you put your mind to it. This article will serve as a guide to dealing with depression.
Table of Contents
What Makes Someone Depressed In Life?
There are thousand and one reasons that will make a person go through depression. Depression has to do with the state of the mind and if the mind is not at peace depression can set in. Simply, anything that gets an individual worried, anxious, or thinking a lot can be a sign of depression. Sleeplessness can also be a sign of depression.
Causes of depression could vary from person to person. What can make someone depressed could make the other feel better. Stress and discrimination are one major reasons a person could go through depression.
Stress is part of life and no matter what you cannot run away from it. Every individual has a responsibility and a role to play. In the course to fulfill these responsibilities, we may sometimes be challenged with some difficulties that might stress us or worn out. Stress can lead to overthinking. Why do I feel so tired? Should I quit this job? it’s stressful. What about the children what will they eat if I quit this job?
All these questions may come as a result of overburdening and note that overthinking eventually leads to depression and some mental disorders.
Discrimination which is also another reason people get depressed cannot be overlooked when we talk about what constitutes depression. Many factors may lead to discrimination. The truth is humans as we feel offended or bad when we are being discriminated against. Impotent, poverty, disability, and shame among many others may be the cause of discrimination.
Discrimination creates a negative impression and impact on victims and may cause them to have negative or low self-esteem and lack of confidence in themselves. They may try to escape the experience of having to go through the shame of being discriminated and if this is not achieved they might get depressed.
A depressed soul is a mentally unstable being. What you need to know is what causes depression and how you should go about dealing with depression.
Signs Of Depression
- Loss of interest in tasks at work.
- Inability to concentrate on work and perform assigned responsibilities at work
- Feeling useless and worthless at work. This may result in not doing things right at work. The company can be at loss due to this
- Poor customer service due to lack of concentration.
- Persistent and prolonged feelings of sadness and low moods
- Lack of motivation to carry out responsibilities
- Low self-esteem
- Poor self-hygiene
- Isolation from work colleagues
- Procrastinating and the missing deadline for activities
- Coming to work late
- Less or no effort at work
- Getting angry over little things
- Being overwhelmed
- Getting too emotional over unnecessary things
- Lack of confidence
- Attempting suicide
Types Of Depression
Bipolar Disorder: People with this condition show symptoms in an all sudden way. They can be happy now and the next thing you see is sadness. Their mood changes quickly and they do not have any control over their mood switching. This may lead to depression because it brings about shame, guilt, and anxiety in the person.
Psychotic Depression: psychosis is associated with delusions such as living above or below reality and also false beliefs and can lead to severe hallucinations.
Major Depression: this involves feeling sad all the time and losing interest in many things that they used to enjoy. Medication and psychotherapy are usually recommended for treatment.
Persistent Depressive Disorder: A person may have episodes of major depression as well as milder symptoms.
Postpartum Depression: when hormones readjust after childbirth, mood changes can result and this may lead to severe reoccurrence of mood deviation causing depression.
How To Undo Depression
Even though there are treatment therapies for depression, there are some easier ways that are recommended for people with depression. Some people even recover by going through these easier ways and do not necessarily have to go through any therapy at all. These simple ways to overcome depression include;
- Keeping busy. Schedule pleasant activities or events for yourself. Get occupied with things that can may you happier and far from feeling sad. Depression sometimes comes when there is persistent sadness. Keeping yourself busy and happy always can help prevent depression.
- Exercise: Apart from the physical benefits of exercising, there are other mental and psychological benefits too. Exercising during your depression stage can help refresh the brain and improve mental disabilities. Exercising can also keep you alert and active to even think about things that may cause depression.
- Appreciating oneself: if you learn to love yourself, you will learn to take good care of yourself and nothing or no one can intimidate you at all.
- Set goals for yourself. Try as much as possible to achieve for yourself. When you have aimed for yourself, you get so busy acquiring it than focusing on things that would take your time away and only bring depression.
- Stay in healthy relationships. If the relationship in which you are brings nothing better to the table leave that relationship. I believe that relationships are to allow us to learn new things to better our lives. So if the relationship in which you are doesn’t bring anything other than negativity you should advise yourself.
- Learn to let go of certain things like addiction. Addition can result in depression if care isn’t taken. The mind should be able to disagree with the body on certain negativity that depresses the brain and physical body.
- Visit heath facilities regularly when you see signs of depression.
- Practice 5 minutes of mindfulness meditation in the morning before stepping out to the workplace.
- Try to have some fun after a long week of work. Embrace the new opportunity and new ways of doing things. This adds up to your ability to make work easier than it used to be.
- Talk to a friend about your depression. A friend who is outside of your workplace.
- Step away from the working screen when stress or anxiety is detected. Don’t feel you have to finish the work at all course so you will stay and do all before anything else. No, that alone can cause you a great deal of care isn’t taken. It may even result in poor work done. You must be able to identify your energy level and work toward/according to it.
- Go in for jobs that match your mental and physical energy.
- Find value in the job you are going in for.
In as much as depression can go beyond control, you shouldn’t let it define you. The moment you figure out your depression finds a way of dealing with it. You can see your doctor for medical attention and support.