In today’s topic, “Kleptomania Support Group” we discuss how to get help if you keep on stealing. Kleptomania is a type of shopping disorder, characterized by a persistent and uncontrollable desire to steal items from stores or other people.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that this post may contain some affiliate links. Click here to learn more
It is most commonly associated with shoplifting, but it can also apply to any stealing behavior.
The person may justify the theft as a way to obtain a much-needed item, a way to get back at a person who has wronged them, or a way to relieve anxiety and stress.
Some sufferers of kleptomania may have obsessive-compulsive disorder, and many people have a history of other problems, such as substance abuse and gambling, and seek treatment for these.
Table of Contents
What Is Kleptomania?
Kleptomania is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder that causes people to have uncontrollable urges to steal. It is usually characterized by the stealing of small items, like clothing, food, or trinkets.
It is a mental illness that is often difficult to diagnose, but it is important to seek therapy to help you recover.
Causes And Symptoms
Kleptomania is a term used to describe the compulsive urge to steal things, with an inability to stop.
It is a disorder in which the person feels an intense desire to steal items and then either fails to steal the items or steals them and then feels guilty about it.
It is often considered a behavioral disorder, but some people think it is a mental illness.
Types Of Kleptomania
Kleptomania is a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) where a person feels compelled to steal items. The person usually feels that the item belongs to them.
Kleptomania is not the same as shoplifting, which is a criminal act. The person with kleptomania may steal small items such as food, clothing, or household items. The items are usually taken to be used or resold.
The person may also steal from work, from friends, from family, from strangers, or from the charity. The person may steal in order to get back at someone or out of a sense of guilt.
They may also steal out of boredom. In some cases, the person may have a mental illness that causes them to steal.
What To Expect At A Kleptomania Support Group Meeting
A support group is a place where people can get together and talk about their struggles with a condition that is often misunderstood.
If you have a condition that is difficult to describe, you might find a support group to be a good place to talk to others who understand what you are going through.
You might also find a support group helpful if you feel that you are losing control of your emotions. That is why it is important to know what to expect when you go to a kleptomania support group meeting.
- First, you should know that you are going to discuss the struggles that you have been having and that you might be able to find some ways to better deal with your condition.
- Secondly, you should know that you will have the opportunity to find some closure about your addiction, which could help to alleviate some of your pain.
- Lastly, you should know that people in the group will try to understand what you are going through, which will help you to feel less alone.
Getting Help With Kleptomania Support Group
If you are a kleptomaniac, you may be feeling anxious about attending a support group. Attendance at a support group can be difficult for some people, especially those who have been charged with the crime of stealing.
However, the anxiety of attending a support group is often outweighed by the benefits of being a part of the group. Below are some tips to help you get through the anxiety and attend a support group.
- Find a support group that is as close to you as possible. If you live in a small town, it may be easier to attend a support group in person.
- Consider attending an online support group. This can be helpful in a variety of ways. You will be able to interact with others who are in a similar situation, make friends, and get support when you need it.
- Visit the website of the support group in the morning before going to work. This will help you feel more in control and less anxious.
- Consider attending a support group that is not in person. This can be helpful if you are reluctant to attend a support group in person.
Where To Kleptomania Support Group Meeting
The Kleptomania Support Group is a free twelve-week online group program offered by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America.
The group was developed to provide support and understanding for people who have kleptomania.
The group is a safe place to share and talk about what you are going through. The group has been shown to reduce the sense of shame and guilt.
We hope you enjoyed our blog about kleptomania. There are so many different types of people who struggle with kleptomania.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or would like to share your thoughts about kleptomania. Please contact us anytime.
Thank you for reading, we really hope that you can find some of the information we provide helpfully.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT: If this post was helpful or if you have anything you want us to write on. Thank You much Love 🙂 ❤